New poem

I love Edwin Morgan's poem ' A Too Hot Summer' for its feeling of sticky heat, mystery and the unsettling image of a dog, so I set myself a challenge to write a poem with the same title.
I like the idea of writing poems based on the titles of poems written by loved and dead poets, so may write more on this theme.

A Too Hot Summer

Bright and strange
as a thin fox out in daylight,
glamour runs a leery path,
beyond the hedge and unmown grass.

Walking on stick-stiff legs,
the fox ignores the hens staring from their pen,
instead, like a dog, casually sits
scratching an ear.

July is a longed-for creature,
flaunting its torrid colours, setting a trail 
into every summer gone, energising pollinators,
presaging autumn.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For Ukraine

DUSK Solstice Shorts Festival 2017

New Writing Scotland 35 'She Said He Said I Said'