How to do Rejection

I have to keep reminding myself that I've only been writing poetry seriously for about 10 years so although I'm soon going to be receiving my State Pension in writing terms I'm a relative adolescent. Therefore in common with every other writer I'm learning to deal with rejection and when I'm feeling reasonably sanguine and philosophical I can almost convince myself that I'm not that disappointed. But of course having your batch of poems which you carefully submitted months ago to a well regarded poetry magazine is bound to feel upsetting. 
I've had some successes with poetry competitions and poetry magazines but as my rejection letters accumulate,I've reflected about the value that each editor places on communicating rejection and how that feels as a recipient of their subjective judgments. Editors vary hugely in their responses from nothing at all...ever, to returning poems with a blank compliment slip and as happened yesterday a letter from the editors of Brittle Star. In addition to their polite standard letter they'd included a hand written note, We enjoyed 'The Asterozoans' but we don't publish poems about brittle stars. We'd love to read more of your work in future. This attention to detail makes all the difference and will encourage me to submit more work...so thanks Brittle Star....you do rejection well!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For Ukraine

DUSK Solstice Shorts Festival 2017

New Writing Scotland 35 'She Said He Said I Said'