Of Rainbows and Starrie Eyes*

When the news came through about the death of Nelson Mandela late on Thursday evening, I recalled the only time I'd seen him (from a distance) during the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting in Edinburgh 1997.
I was walking along Princes Street during the event, when Mandela's car stopped outside the Caledonian Hotel. Rather than immediately going inside, he stood on the steps for several minutes dressed in one of his fantastic coloured shirts, to wave towards the many people like me who were so delighted by his impromptu gesture.
Thank you Nelson Mandela for your lifetime of fighting oppression and inspiring and uniting people across the world with your genuineness and love.

* from Paradise Lost by John Milton

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For Ukraine

DUSK Solstice Shorts Festival 2017

New Writing Scotland 35 'She Said He Said I Said'