The Baker Prize

in association with Northwords Now, Moniack Mhor and Cuillin FM has recently announced the results of the 2013 competition on the theme of 'Homecoming' and I was delighted to hear that my poem Goodbye Voyager 1 was Highly Commended. Here's the poem.

Goodbye Voyager 1.

I heard you made it
to interstellar space
past the kiss-me-quick hats
lost balloons
stratus and noctilucent clouds
satellites and meteorites
the ever-orbiting bits of junk like me
Telstar 1963
all the way through the heliosphere
beyond the outer planets
if only I could have been programmed
to be as brave as you
do you remember you played
Stavinsky and Chuck Berry
when we almost collided all those years ago
now look where your heart's desire
has got you to
travelling on a one way ticket
through thickets of universes
black holes and dying stars
to immortality
where you belong
over and out
so long

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For Ukraine

DUSK Solstice Shorts Festival 2017

New Writing Scotland 35 'She Said He Said I Said'