Secondhand poems

I read poems online, in poetry magazines and on my Kindle but I've also got a burgeoning collection of books - some new but some bought from charity shops and secondhand book shops and some of these are among my favorites. The joy of secondhand book shopping is that for a modest outlay, I can read poems by known and unknown poets. My only problem remains...how to find enough room to put my ever-growing collection.

Some examples of my secondhand purchases that I return to again and again -

'The Best of the Best American Poetry 1988 - 1997'  Edited by Harold Bloom. (£4.20)

'The Jacob's Ladder' by Denise Levertov. (£1.99)

'Seeing Things' by Seamus Heaney.(£5.00)


The Tulips

Red tulips
living into their death
flushed with a wild blue

tulips
becoming wings
ears of the wind
jackrabbits rolling their eyes

west wind
shaking the loose pane

some petals fall
with that sound one
listens for

Denise Levertov.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For Ukraine

DUSK Solstice Shorts Festival 2017

New Writing Scotland 35 'She Said He Said I Said'